Friday, December 6, 2013

The Long Walk to Freedom -- Dec 6, 2013


The Long Walk to Freedom -- December 6, 2013
Madiba has ended his long walk to freedom.  Along the way he has cast a long shadow.  I was fortunate to have stood momentarily in that shadow and learn for such a great statesman. I will be traveling to South Africa and participating in the celebrations of his life.  We leave today, December 6th at 2:15 PM.  I will share my thoughts about this great man and our experiences while traveling for the next two weeks.

My journey with Madiba began in 1995 when I was assigned to work in South Africa with IBM.  Our mission was to re-establish IBM South Africa, following our absence during the years of divestment. President Mandela had been elected in April of 1994.  When we arrived in January 1995 his influence was already taking effect.  Everyone -- Blacks, Whites, Colored, Indians -- greeted us with "How do you like OUR new South Africa?"  They were all invested in building a new nation. Often, we would hear the statement, "We're all Africans.  This is our country." The spirit of Ubuntu had already taken hold.

During my three year stay, I had the pleasure of meeting President once and shook his hand.  He had a presence in the room where corporate supporters of the new government were gathered.  He was so comfortable and genuine when he greeted me.  He said, "We're glad you are here to help us build a new nation.  Thank you for your support."  It seemed personal, as if we had been friends for a long time.  He had a way of being comfortable and making everyone else comfortable around him.

I will never forget that moment, nor the many memories of working with the people of South Africa.  We regard South Africa as our second home.  So, we are going home to celebrate the life of Madiba.

Amandla!

1 comment: